artversussport

This blog will be dedicated to the beautiful passions of life: Food, Film, Football (Barça), Philosophy, Literature, Art and Humanity.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Fischer vs. Spassky

Bobby Fischer
Boris Spassky
Two of Iceland’s Chess Champions in the last 10 years
A future Chess Champion of Iceland
Crowd from Iceland
Crowd from all over the world
Tv Crews
Sponsors, Organisers and other important people

Laugardalshöllin: the day after Fischer has beaten Spassky and claimed the new World Chess Champion. This will be their perhaps last goodbye to the Icelandic nation.
Fischer: (dressed in an immaculate white shirt, black loose tie and smart grey trousers), Even if I’m a member of the central committee now, (fiddling with a pencil) I can’t say anything too definite, as I want to keep my options, but I want to play a lot of chess and I like to play matches, ... I feel... you know... I want to play... a lot of (pauses)matches, you know, the money is there, it’s a question of money, not a question, you know of waiting three years, it’s a long time, a very long time.
Spassky: (dressed also in a white shirt, even more immaculate a blue tie and dark blue trousers) I agree.
Fischer: Definitely, yes. Definitely if the money is there, we are going (a long pause, where he turns his pen around his finger a few times) to have a return match, its no question emm... er...
Spassky: I agree.
(a young boy or girl, one can not tell shouts, In Iceland, there is a hush hush from presumably his dad)
Fischer: You can ... the Russians, made me wait a long time, you know, dishonesty and everything. It’s nothing personal you know, but you know what I am trying to say.
Spassky: Well (seems to look straight through Fischer)what can one say.

Both are now rocking back & forth in their chairs - like two dead men dancing.

Fischer: I feel bored now, not tired (a longish pause, where you can hear the audience breathing), I just want to get back in action, I am not interested in making some kind of spectacle of myself (he turns to the audience) I am interested in serious chess you know.

Spassky: You played very very well in the second half. I have (someone caughs in the audience, followed by a second and a third cough) to admit I felt under tremendous pressure in the last games, except for the last game. I can only think of it as a huge fish, which I had caught, but somehow I could not contain it, it was slippery and so I lost it.
Fischer: Hmmm.

(a long long long applause, which seems to last an eternity erupts, with Spassky and Fischer shaking hands before leaving to the back room, the cameras having focused on the two great masters, now aim their lenses at the Icelandic crowd for a few minutes, no one seems to want to leave, no one seems to want this magical moment to come to an end, but in the end the rooms becomes empty and the cameramen pack up, with no sign of neither Spassky nor Fischer).

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Mr Towers said...

very nice description, I've found myself as if I was between the crowd ...I probaly wouldn't enjoyed this description so much, had I seen it on Tv. Maybe some things get better explained than just seen.

As far as I know spasky was submited to a great pressure by the buracrats of the Central Comitee before the match, and besides they didn't like him very much, to some extend the burocrats found themselves in the obligation to choose him despite their feelings. (I'not very much interested in chees, it's just from a tv record I saw some time ago when I had noting better to do ;))

12:36 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

I have to say even though I made a fair amount of research it was partly made up, if not most of it.

Spassky was under great pressure and the whole match was under suspicion of conspiracy.

I just like the idea of chess, the Romantic Idea of Chess. Have not played it since I was a child. will try to post a picture with myself playing, but I remember that in Iceland it was such a World Event and even I followed it in the Newspapers, however now it has lost all glamour.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/paginas/Despacito/compas/elppor/20070318elpepspag_4/Tes

Yrsa,
Probablement no ho has mirat bé.
L'article i les 12 fotos de la teva amiga son al extra EPS (El Pais Semanal) del que es parla a la primera página de EL PAIS.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Un amic de la meva filla, en Chris, entrará en contacte amb tú per parlar sobre possibilitats de estudiar cine a Barcelona.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

@joan cg
perfecte, tens la meva direcció de mail?

Segurament no ho habia mirat bé, també mi amiga sempre em deia que no era posible veure-ls per internet.
Que tontita es la juventud

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yrsa,
No tinc la teva adreça.
L'he dirigit al blog.
Deixala aquí sis plau.
Gràcies.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

yrsarocafannberg en gmail.com

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yrsa, puedes consultar el El Pais Semanal por Internet siempre que quieras.
1) Vas a la página principal del El Pais.

2) Vas bajando hasta el final de la página. Verás una cuadrícula donde aparecen: Cine, Babelia, Negocios ... el último apartado donde dice EP(s) es el que corresponde a El Pais semanal ya que así es como se llama ése suplemento también en la edición en papel.

Perdona por ocupar este espacio de tu blog para comentártelo ... pero al leer que nunca podias leerlo me ha parecido OK decirte como hacerlo.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

@ dolors,
Bueno yo normalmente voy a los pdf's y alli hay la babelia y el de domingo, pero nunca el EPS, es una tonteria mia no haberlo mirado mas.
Ahora si.
Muchas gracias y no te preocupes por el espacio.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to Kasparov?

Have you been following the recent developments?

He is a revolutionary!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"First of all, I'll make a tour of the whole world, giving exhibitions. I'll charge unprecedented prices. I'll set new standards. I'll make them pay thousands. Then I'll come home on a luxury liner. First-class. I'll have a tuxedo made for me in England to wear to dinner. When I come home I'll write a couple chess books and start to reorganize the whole game. I'll have my own club. The Bobby Fischer ... uh, the Robert J. Fischer Chess Club. It'll be class. Tournaments in full dress. No bums in there. You're gonna have to be over eighteen to get in, unless like you have special permission because you have like special talent. It'll be in a part of the city that's still decent, like the Upper East Side. And I'll hold big international tournaments in my club with big cash prizes. And I'm going to kick all the millionaires out of chess unless they kick in more money. Then I'll buy a car so I don't have to take the subway any more. That subway makes me sick. It'll be a Mercedes-Benz. Better, a Rolls Royce, one of those fifty-thousand-dollar custom jobs, made to my own measure. Maybe I'll buy one of those jets they advertise for businessmen. And a yacht. Flynn had a yacht. Then I'll have some more suits made. I'd like to be one of the Ten Best-dressed Men. That would really be something. I read that Duke Snyder made the list. Then I'll build me a house. I don't know where but it won't be in Greenwich Village. They're all dirty, filthy animals down there - lower than cats and dogs. Maybe I'll build it in Hong Kong. Everybody who's been there says it's great. Art Linkletter said so on the radio. And they've got suits there, beauties, for only twenty dollars. Or maybe I'll build it in Beverly Hills. The people there are sort of square, but like the climate is nice and it's close to Vegas, Mexico, Hawaii, and those places. I got strong ideas about my house. I'm going to hire the best architect and have him build it in the shape of a rook. Yeah, that's for me. Class. Spiral staircases, parapets, everything. I want to live the rest of my life in a house built exactly like a rook"(Bobby Fischer)...read more

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home