artversussport

This blog will be dedicated to the beautiful passions of life: Food, Film, Football (Barça), Philosophy, Literature, Art and Humanity.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Profound Sadness




It brings a profound sadness to my soul, heart, eternal internal system, the fall of Ronaldinho. During the world cup in Japan/Sout Korea I was mesmerized by this smiling looking horse galloping across the pitch. I even lit a candle (white one) during the negations with PSG. I really really wanted him to be ours and I really really wanted the love to be eternal. I remember how much happiness Ronaldinho brought the club and me in his first year and how that was matched with titles in the following two years. I never even contemplated that it would come to an end. I thought he was a good kid, kindly hearted and I do remember grandmother's saying what a good person he seemed, his smile was not a commercial smile, but an honest, gentle and sweet one. I never thought all his millions would affect him and he seemed genuinely gentle and humble. I feel cheated by humanity, our beloved humanity somehow seems a bit rotten and poisoned. It saddens me to see how quickly someone can succumb to the hidden traps of glory, success, and praise. How his family are totally blinded by it and seem to be equally enjoying the new lifestyle. I can't say that I am impressed by these expensive looking sunglasses at all times, the golden chains and the cheap looking glamour of the US rappers, more concerned with bling bling than anything else. I actually have come to think that Ronaldinho is more bla bla bla than actually willing to take himself out of this situation. He just seems tired, tired of being a top top athlete. I believe that he would have had the opportunity to enter as one of the greatest footballer ever, he had all the attributes, but somehow he got lost on the way (like so many others of course, but I thought he was different). It also brings the question if it is compatible to be a top top footballer with all the media circus around it. Will you win golden balls, Fifa World player if you don't have the media circus around you and will you be able to maintain that form, not for 2 or 3 years, but for 10 years. If one looks at footballers with a long long career, most of them have not been in the middle of the circus, but happy to concentrate on their job. A footballer. What will history judge?

It is sad, very sad, and I believe what most hurts, is that I have lost a tiny bit of faith in human capacity.



Ps. I have to admit this article was written quickly when I came home after my watercolour class, and I do apologies for its quality. See it more as a brainstorming session.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Ulague said...

I share your sadness, but somehow, through all the 4 years I always told myself that at the end of the day Ronaldinho is brazilian and somehow it always goes wrong at some point with those fancy juggernauting brazilians. It was of course my bad biased ressentiments for Argentina and Argentinian players that made me feel this way, but I somehow never allowed him to get too close to me.
But then again, everytime I curse him and cuss at him, I have flashbacks of his Chelsea goals, the Madrid games, his 90th minute freekicks, his majestical pass to Xavi in the first clasico win in Bernabeu...and I really want to curse him, but stop it, but then I curse him and..

I really want him to go, it has to come to an end. It's like a bad relationship right now and the more we stay together, the worse it gets for everyone.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

I am sad, sad, but I also agree that he really has to go. I am not a fan of crucifying immediately, but I really believe he is bringing the team down. I really believe he has poisoned himself. And he has to go, better in January than June.
I tried and tried and tried, but one can't dance tango (sorry for that cliche...)

Off to watch the game.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Ulague said...

when he plays, somehow the team plays worse too. as my friend says, whenever he touches the ball, everyone in the team sends hail marys and hopes it goes well and he limits messi's freedom to attack.

anyway, I got your point today on Guddy and his Icelandic thing. I always sort of liked him and thought those crucifying last season for the lack of goals did him very wrong(we see it this year with henry how difficult it is to score for a striker at FCB, except if you are Eto'o) but his fighting, struggle and everything, I was again impressed. I hope and think that he will start also against Espanyol. His attitude and fighting will be really needed on Saturday.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

I think Eidur is necesarry in these games. He might be a bit of a clumsy and unlucky in front of goal, but he brings presence and fighting spirit and in a team both little and weak of fighting spirit that is necessary. I saw the game as a serious game, stupid goals conceded, even if the defence was shaky, although Lyon are really good and were fighting for their life.
ronaldinho needs a new challenge, he needs to be shaken up in his dream world.
I have not reallye expressed this before, but sell him at christmas.
Not sure why rijkaard got so angry. Also I think that he must be fed up with questions about Ronaldinho. The catalan press demand he gets treated as he deserves or according to his performance but at the same time, they keep asking about it. Come on, use your intelligence (the press) and ask something else.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Chus said...

Fantastic blog, it's damn great!! I admire the fact you write it in English, because I know you from "Lluvia Blaugrana", and I guess you are Spanish.

I am linking your blog to mine, "Un culé en la corte del Rey Merengue".

Hugs!
PD: I can´t help thinking of the recovery of Ronaldinho. It's hard to see the man who took us to the top acting like he does sometimes... Yes, I've gotta have faith, faith, faith!!!

I agree with you about the Guddy affair. The Catalonian press' speed on taking idols up and then down is often frustating!!!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

I forgot to mention that once working in a cinema, I did meet some Brazilian who used to come, I had a picture of Ronaldinho on the tip jar (asking for money to help with the transfer) and I started chatting to him, apparently he had spent the night before with Ronnie (dinner, not what you think) and said that sorry he is going to Madrid. This was just after the World Cup.
I think then Sandro came into the picture and you all know what happened.

I did get lots of tips - propinas .

4:57 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

Sorry chus I forgot to reply
Well I write in English because 1st I think I write better in English, second because I got friends (bla bla bla) from all over the world.
I am Icelandic, with a Catalan father (thereof the Oedipus or Eracles Complex of following Barça ha ha ha), moved to Sweden when I was 12 and studied and work in Britain.
A bit complex :)

I am not a huge fan of Eidur (although proud of him), but I do think he has been treated unfairly. Ronaldinho. I feel like someone brought up religiously and suddenly I enter my teenage early adulthood and realise - No God Does not exist.
Schizofrenic.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:13 PM  
Blogger General Fórceps said...

Sweetie: I was also mesmerized during that World Cup, and was also praying during the lengthy negotiations that took place that summer.

I was the happiest man, but now thigs've changed.

He really don't give a damn, hence he must go. While it is sad, he don't deserve one more penny from us. I've seen it before with Maradona, Kluivert, Rivaldo and so on, and will see it again, we gotta get over it.

Kiss.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Indiana Shones said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Indiana Shones said...

In the middle of you're brainstorm, I've come to realize that golden chains become tired souls. That's the matter.

Cheers.

By the way: I lost my faith in human capacity so long ago.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Indiana Shones said...

'your brainstorm'...
'becomes'...


Puf. Estoy desentrenado

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home