artversussport

This blog will be dedicated to the beautiful passions of life: Food, Film, Football (Barça), Philosophy, Literature, Art and Humanity.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Missing


After only a week, I am finding out what I am missing here in Barcelona.
Stuff. Food. More food and more food.

My favourite things, that I find increasingly hard to be without.

My vegetable brush - to clean vegetable and fruit - one of those things, you never thought you would use, but no - I can't live without it.

Iranian Dates - If you have tried out Iranian dates, there is nothing like it.

Tomato Paste in tubes - I have been to several shops, but they are all in cans, which makes it difficult to keep it, you know, in a can it becomes moldly quickly.

Valvona & Crolla's black and white pepper corn. The best of the best. The so called Rolls Royce of black pepper.

Black eyed peas - The peas I used to make the Turkish black eyed pea salad (Jimmy boy and Dudu's salad).

Iranian Saffron

Good chicken stock - Not the Knorr type, which is full of chemicals, but one which actually contains chicken (is sold at Marks and Spencer in Edimburg)

Beef Stock - Sold at Marks and Spencer and is not full of E products, salt and sugar.

Vegetable Stock - A real one, sold in health shops.

Valvona & Crolla food bag - Good to save one from using all those plastic bags.

Barberries - To make Iranian Saffron

Sumac - A necessary "thing" for Turkish breakfasts, chicken and more.

Whole Allspice - Another necessary spice.

Turkish Coffee (think I can probably find that)

Preserved Lemon - is proving slightly difficult to find

If you know any place where I can find these things, let me know. If you want to be good and send me things, let me know. I am open to presents and human goodwill.

- Soon I will write something on Bobby Fischer, who died a few days ago.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ulague said...

I will give you a receipe one of these days of something called "addas polo"..it's some rice with lentils, but it's a good start for experimenting with persian food and you can usually eat it with fried raisins(which lots of people don't like, but I do..) or dates.
have you checked out els cortes ingles?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

Hi Jordi,
That would be nice, I like Persian food.
I am obsessed with obtaining persian dates. None in El Corte Ingles, perhaps I should be less obsessive, less blind and buy Tunisian ones.
Or South African ones.
I like fried raisins.
Once I made some kind of Afghan Stew with fried raisins, lamb and carrots.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home