artversussport

This blog will be dedicated to the beautiful passions of life: Food, Film, Football (Barça), Philosophy, Literature, Art and Humanity.

Monday, January 05, 2009

From 2008 - 2009


The death of a former giant, 2009

2008 ended with the same thing as 2009 started, the smell of fireworks. I love the fireworks in Iceland, not the organised, methodic exhibition that occurs in other countries, but the chaotic, anarchic and individual fireworks of each household. Rocketing into the sky. One after another, you never know where to look or where to jump. It simply comes from each and one direction. This year it seem to be a much more subtle affair, only lasting for about 30 minutes, with the peak between midnight and fifteen minutes past midnight. Last year, it was meant to be less as there was a slight storm, but no. It was a total bombardment for about one hour. The noise was incredible, like the bird Kríur at an attack. My brother Magnús, said it sounded just like Palestina. I remember Jón Ásgeir shot up constantly with boxes full of them. I guess and hope that this year he was a bit quiter. Jón Ásgeir for those who might not know is one of the biggest villain of this crisis, a man that should be in jail, for continuously breaking the law in Iceland. Somehow he is not. People have seen him as a heroe, until now. He is the former owner of Glitnir (amongst others), and Baugur Group (the House of Fraser, Magasin du Nord etc). Enough of him. I just say he does not forget the sugar in the cookies (a classic comment in my home).


Frustration of a young man, 2009

On one of the first days of January, I experienced something I never had experienced before, and somehow kind of wanted to experience. The last ten minutes of a life. The hands reaching out, either grasping life or trying to enter the next level (although I am not sure I believe in that stuff). I will never forget the look in the eyes as death approached. The colour of the skin, the mouth, my own non sensations as I stopped to sense anything. Perhaps I am a pervert and I really would like to film someone I love dying, but it has to be someone who wants to go, who has had enough of life (as that moment might happen), enough of experiences and is just tired of life. Where death becomes a relief. I hope you meet your loved ones again, or that you are able to follow your loved ones in life. I sometimes think that I have angels following me (yes it sounds cheesy), but I am somehow quite lucky in many senses and I think I know who my angels are.


Rebirth, 2009

This year I am going to go to a fortune teller, there is a famous one, called Óli Draugur, Óli the ghost. I doubt I will talk about what happens there. I am scared, but also prepared. For 2009

I got new watercolour pans, lovely and I had to try them out, even if I should be doing something else. Here is the result. My favourite themes; sexy bodies and fragility.


Nipples, 2009

Barça, they continue with this conviction they left 2008 with.


Aiming high for the future, 2009


i am a mess, you are a mess, they are a mess, everyone is a mess, 2009
The only thing I am content with in this particular watercolour is its title.


Resurrection, 2009

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good watercolors!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Àlex Santos said...

Hola
Me gustan mucho estas ilustaciones. Muy bonitas.
Enhorabuena.

Àlex

7:53 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

Acabo de hacer unas feisimas, pero bueno. Es lo que hay...
La próxima vez.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Boré said...

football's never been this poetic

4:12 AM  
Blogger Boré said...

no, not really
i've seen the link to your blog on his blog and i'm glad i did.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

him
I was just wondering because Benjamin is a good friend of mine, we went through art school together and were unseparable art twins - wilson twins we used to joke.
Visit as often as you like.
I will try to put up new ones soon (but i am disappointed with how they turned out)

5:24 AM  
Blogger Boré said...

i'm waiting for the new work :)

i would really like to have a signed painting..

3:05 AM  
Blogger Boré said...

so i can choose from the watercolours here?
the r beautiful, i speciall love the 'poetic' one where ou cant see their faces..., i cant decide!
and their dimensions, the same dimension as when you click on them?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

I also like it when you can´t see their faces.
which is good, because that is not my strength...

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cada vez estan más bonitas. No me negaría a tener alguna adornando mi humilde morada.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Yrsa Roca Fannberg said...

I have to say that I only have the option of selling them, the society being as it is, living where I live. They are not that expensive. 250 euros.at the moment.
mostly the dimension is about a4.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Boré said...

hi:)
so i've chosen 3 paintings
'kaka' (i belong to jesus), 'in absolute ecstasy' (heads missing) and 'entangled' (liverpool fc i think)
so you can tell me the sizes
thanks

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home